Saturday, June 20, 2015

Kids Horse Shoe Game

Hello Dearies! Today’s project is one I did for my nephew. My sister is all about “Country” and “Cowboy” everything so I may a kid friendly game of horse shoes for her son’s birthday party. This is another project that is super cheap. We bought all the supplies new and spent less than 15 dollars. It only went over ten because I bought a large bag of stuffing and since these don’t take much to stuff, I have almost the whole bag left over for other projects. This was a fairly simple project but it does involve some sewing. But it is super easy sewing! 20150527_113205 Items Needed: *paper to draw out your pattern
* Felt. I got one horse shoe out of each sheet so how many you want to make will determine how much you want to buy. *Rice or beans *Stuffing *Scissors *Thread *Sewing machine or you can hand sew them if you’d like. * A piece of wood for your base (Ours was 2 dollars in the craft section) * A 3/4 inch wooden dowel *Wood Glue The first thing I did was draw out my pattern. It was a very simple “U” I would recommend making you “U” extra wide as it make them easier to stuff later on. I drew just one half of mine on folded paper so that my sides would match. 20150429_10090520150429_101052 After drawing and cutting out my “U”, I folded my felt in half and traced on the pattern. By folding it in half I was able to cut out both pieces of of the horse shoe at once. Note: Get good scissors to cut out your felt. I did this project at my sisters house and all she had were these kiddy scissors. They were a pain in the butt! :) 20150429_10162120150429_102451 Once you have all of your horseshoes cut out it is time to sew. Now the reason why I said above that this is the easy part is because we won’t be sewing these inside out. We want the seams on the outside for these. Leaving about an 1/4 inch on the sides, sew around the curves and one edge. Leave one edge open for stuffing. For stuff I alternated one tablespoon or rice (you can also use beans) to one small handful of stuffing. I filled my as full as I could get and then I sewed over the open edge. Using a stick or spoon to really push the stuffing in helps a lot! I would make sure that the last thing you stuff in would be the stuffing. It makes it easier to sew the final edge. If you use the rice (beans) last you may sew over the rice and could break the needle of your sewing machine… I’ll let you guess how we found this out. Needless to say, my sister won’t be touching my sewing machine again! Haha! :) 20150429_10534120150429_105036 After sewing them I would suggest trimming the edges of your shoes to make them look nicer. I didn’t for these photos because of the horrible kiddy scissors we had. For the base. We simply glued the dowel to the center of our wooden piece. I would suggest painting it to but I didn’t have time to before I left my sisters house. The kids at the party had a blast playing! 20150429_12031420150527_113140 What do you think of horse shoe game? I’d love to see yours. Please leave a link to your projects in the comments below or tag me on instagram @images_by_jessie or twitter @imagesbyjessie

No comments:

Post a Comment