Saturday, December 19, 2015

Salt Dough Ornaments

Hello Dearies!
Hope everything is happy and wonderful in your world. We are super busy  around here. My son has a new study group, the baby has early preschool, which is insane because he’s 1!!!! But I guess that’s how people do it now days. Daughter is in basketball and my hubby has volunteered to coach. Oh and we’re also doing the whole getting ready for Christmas thing because I volunteered to have it at my house. I honestly don’t remember the last day I had to just sit at home and not do stuff. I miss not doing stuff. Haha!
 Ok so first on my projects list is gingerbread houses. My daughter and her friends are making a whole village of these to be auctioned off. They are using the money to put together food boxes for families that that can’t afford the big Holiday dinners that most of us are used to. They are nine years old and they came up with this idea all by themselves (Proud mommy moment). I’ve never done gingerbread before so this is from a kit. One of the moms is amazing at this kind of thing so she’s doing all the baking for the actual house build party. My son didn’t want to be left out so we bought a kit to put together. It was fun and actually pretty easy. The kiddos loved it. They also ate it VERY quickly. I think this thing lasted maybe two days.
  20151205_19571920151205_195846 20151205_200006 20151205_202628
 The baking I did do myself this week was not for eating. We made salt dough ornaments. The dough is super easy to whip up and to handle. We used cookie cutters for the tradition shapes. Then we used a straw to poke a whole so  we’ll be able to hang them later. At first, we decided to air dry these. Most recipes claim it takes just 24 hours and they are wrong. After 2 days, these suckers were still soft. I put them in the oven at 200 degrees for a couple hours and they came out perfect. Our plan is to paint them but like I said, we’ve been busy Smile I still have some time before Christmas, I’m not too worried.
 Dough recipe is:
 2 cups flour
 1 cup salt
 1 cup water
 Mix until dough forms and then roll out and use cookie cutters to shape.
 My favorite is my baby’s footprint. I always wanted to do those with the older kids but I never got around to it. I love how it turned out.
  20151205_19205220151205_192046
 I’d love to see all of your fun projects! Please share a link in the comments below or tag me on instagram @images_by_jessie or on twitter @imagesbyjessie

No comments:

Post a Comment