Sunday, February 22, 2015

OUAT Queens of Darkness rant

Hello Dearies! If you follow me on twitter, you know that I love OUAT. I am a big fairy tale fan and whenever I see versions that go deeper and give back stories to characters, I get so so happy! It's like crack to me :) I swear. Now, with the show returning next week, I wanted to rant a bit about why the commercials are driving me nuts.
Queens-of-Darkness
I have an issue with the Queens of Darkness. Not the actual actresses or characters themselves. I'm excited for them all. My issue is actually really nit picky. I can't stand that they are calling them the “Queens of Darkness”. It is just wrong and I don’t feel like it was a good choice to describe this group of characters. I feel like that title refers to an evil magical queen and that really only applies to one of them.
Allow me to explain.
258px-1561_Ursula_40_detail
Ursula: Queen, Magical, Evil! She is the only one that really meets all qualifications to be a queen of darkness.
258px-Maleficent-SB
Maleficent: Evil Fairy (she had her own castle but she was not queen), She was Magical and Evil.
258px-Cruella_De_Vil
Cruella: NOT queen, NOT magical, arguably NOT evil!
Seriously, let’s think about it. Sure, all she wanted to do was make a coat out of puppies. That is sick. I’d never wear that. I’d never wear any fur but I am not living Cruella’s life. She is a wealthy business woman fashionista that lives in a world where it is ok to point at something and say “make me clothes out of that”. She is also the owner/boss of her own company. She has to be strong and in control to run her own business successfully. We watch the movies and paint her as a Queen B but that is only because the movies are from the point of view of adorable puppies, and of course they find her scary.
I love the idea of having Cruella on the show but I do not see her at all as a “Queen of Darkness”. She just doesn't fit that name.
Now here are some other alternatives that may not necessarily meet the Queen, Magical, Evil standards but they do come a bit closer than Cruella, and I'd love to see them on OUAT too  :)

258px-Tremain_New
Lady Tremaine (Cinderella’s Step Mom): She is also not magically inclined but she was really evil. Also, she may not be queen but she did have a royal title.

258px-Mother_Gothel_OfficialHQ
Mother Gothel: Not a queen and technically the magic was Repunzel’s but she was evil.

258px-AMELIA
Magica De Spell: Ok, so I know what you’re thinking. “Hey Jessie, She’s a duck” I know she’s a duck but she’s a bad ass duck. She is magical and evil and she lives on the side of a volcano! What more do you want out of a villain???

258px-Mim
Madam Mim: Not royal but she’s got evil and magic to spare.

And now for my absolute favorite-they need to put her in this show now- pick…
258px-Yzma
Ysma: All of your arguments are invalid! All of them!

Now, enough of my nit picking. I’m still very excited for the Queens of Darkness and I’m still going to watch this show like it is the oxygen I need to breath :)
What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment