Saturday, August 8, 2015

Dream Tub

Hello Dearies! First off, I just noticed that I forgot to post last week. I am so sorry. Life has been crazy. I bought a new house for my family. And by new house I mean 95 year old house that needs to be fixed up in almost every way. Haha! I do love it though. I get to pick how I want things to look. I’m learning how to do things I thought I’d have to hire people for. It really is rewarding to do the work yourself. It’s also very frustrating because it seems like a never ending battle. Like every time I get something done, I have to add 10 more things to my to do list. So far all the projects we’ve done have been pretty big and not really the sort of fun DIY stuff I wanna show here. We painted every single wall. We installed insulation. We tiled the bathroom and installed the cabinets, counter and sink. We sanded and re-stained several of the floors. We have original hard wood floors! It’s amazing!!! We ripped up one completely horrible floor and rebuilt it. Today we started putting in the kitchen cabinets and counters. Once they are done, we’ll lay the kitchen tile, then hook up all the plumbing and finish the electrical and about a bajillion other things. Who knows when we’ll ever get finished. Haha. But enough of the shop talk.
Today I want to share with you something really fun I got to do this week. I painted my tub! IMG_6496
It’s amazing! It is my favorite thing about the new house so far. I just wanna sit in my bathroom all day :) I keep joking that I’m going to keep this bathroom all for myself and make everyone else use the boring one in the basement. Haha! My mom taught me how to do the tile. It was so fun and so easy and it looks so good! I’m glad I learned how to do it myself.
  IMG_6504
After we put the bathroom together, I thought it was missing something and for some crazy reason a little voice in my head yelled out “paint the tub!” I’ve seen fancy tile around tubs before but I’ve never seen a painted tub. I’m really not sure if it’s something people do. But I did it and I love it so so so much! I took these photos at night with bad indoor lighting. The tub is much much prettier when the sun light bursts through the window. It’s not quite so red. Also we aren’t quite done with everything yet so you’ll notice the inside of the tub is filled will stuff we haven’t used yet but don't need sitting out on the floor :)
  IMG_6508IMG_6510
 Look at that pretty tile! Isn’t awesome? Also you can see that I didn’t get the bottom of the tub painted but let’s ignore that and focus on the tile. Haha! So this isn’t really a tutorial, just a fun thing you can do to (if you have a tub like this) Ok so this tub looks like the old fashioned bear claw tubs but it’s actually a newer version. It’s a bit smaller and because it’s more cheaply made, it doesn’t have a smooth ceramic underside. The bottom of the tub is ruff and textured. This made it super easy to paint and I think that texture will help the paint stay on for a long time. I used normal wall paint. It was left over from my daughter’s room. Since the tub isn’t hooked up yet, I pulled it out on top of a bunch of newspaper so I could paint all sides. I did 2 coats to make sure none of the white textured part showed through. Then I wiped of any splatters that landed on the feet. At first I wanted to paint the feet but I’m glad I didn’t. I like how shiny they are :)
  IMG_6514
Anyways, thanks for reading. I’d love to hear what you think. If you do something similar or absolutely any other fun projects you’d like to share with me, please share a link in the comments below or tag me on instagram @images_by_jessie or on twitter @imagesbyjessie

No comments:

Post a Comment