Saturday, November 28, 2015

Getting ready for Christmas presents

Hello Dearies! Christmas can be expensive. Especially when you have a lot of friends. I think it's fun to make baskets for Christmas so to help with the cost, I start collecting things a bit early. All baskets will have certain matching basics but then each person will get one individual item just for them. This year each one included a coffee mug, hot cocoa mix, specialty chocolates, yummy dip mix, homemade bath salts and sugar scrubs, a handmade goats milk bar of soap, fuzzy socks and a candle. 
I am then making a special piece of jewelry and a crocheted item for each girl that will be customized to their favorite things and colors. For example, one of my friends is a hunter's wife so I made her a deer's head bracelet and some camo finger-less gloves. Another friend is a new mommy so I made a necklace with her child's initials and a nursing scarf. Another friend is a total Potterhead so I made her some Slytherin colored slippers and a Harry Potter owl charm bracelet. 
Doing baskets that include a lot of items are fun and the girls love them. They are also very affordable for me. The base items (that everyone gets) cost me under 15 dollars. When I add the other homemade items, each basket ends up costing about 20-30 dollars. I made 10 baskets this year. I kept track of my reciepts and the whole cost ended up being just about $265. since I had been picking up little things here and there throughout the year, the most I ever spent at one time was 32 dollars. I didn't spend a bulk amount all at once so it never hurt my bank. I plan on making baskets again next year and I would recommend them to anyone that likes DIY-ing and putting their own spin on things.
Since my friends read my blog, I'm not including any finished photos but this is a photo of some of the basic items I had ready for me when I was putting the baskets together :)   
December 19, 2014 (4)

1 comment:

  1. What a cool idea! Do you put baskets together for others to purchase from you if they gave you a theme? :)

    ReplyDelete